Based on the insights and discoveries of the ground-breaking Longman Grammar of Spoken and Written English, this new book brings fresh perspectives to the study of English Grammar.
The Longman Grammar of Spoken and Written English is a pedagogical coursebook for advanced students at university or on teacher-training courses, and an invaluable reference grammar. It combines a comprehensive examination of grammatical structure with information about the how, when, and why of English as it is really used. The Longman Student Grammar.
– Examines patterns of use in the news, fiction and academic English
– takes grammar and vocabulary together and looks at how they interact
– is based on the analysis of 40-million words of British and American, written and spoken corpus text
– uses over 3000 examples of real, corpus English to illustrate the points
– uses frequency tables and graphs to make the new findings of this grammar clear